Beppe Marotta has assured Inter will honour their players’ contracts despite the club’s well-documented financial problems.
Inter’s players were asked by president Steven Zhang to give up two months’ wages, in order to help Suning tackle the club’s financial problems.
Speculation has reached fever pitch this week about Inter’s economic crisis, but Marotta has made it clear there will be no problem respecting the pre-existing deals if no new solution can be agreed.
“The contracts which tie the players to the club will be honoured,” Marotta told Sky Sport Italia before tonight’s match at home to Roma.
“There’s always extra attention on Inter in the media which magnifies problems, even though other clubs are having the same problems.
“We’ll deal with these issues with our conscience.”
Zhang went to visit Inter’s players at Appiano Gentile on Monday to request the wage cuts, and reports since have suggested his proposal did not go down well.
Asked if Inter’s players really were irritated by the request, Marotta responded: “Everything started with a meeting with the president, who explained the current moment football is experiencing with maximum serenity.
“Zhang made the players aware of the delicate position the club is in, but he didn’t oblige anyone (to take wage cuts).
“It’s up to everyone to make a decision with their conscience.
“We have full respect for the players who have given the club an extraordinary joy this season (winning the Serie A title).
“I’ll repeat: Inter will honour all their agreements.”
Antonio Conte’s future remains uncertain as a result of Inter’s off-field problems, and Marotta was unable to guarantee he would still be the Nerazzurri’s head coach next season.
“I hope so, both as a director and as a person,” he said.
“We’ve begun a project with him, despite the COVID-19 pandemic which has caused all sorts of problems.
“If I consider the work Conte has done in these last two years, we finished second and reached the UEFA Europa League final (in his first season) and then won the scudetto with several games to spare.
“The hope is that we can continue despite all the problems.”
Marotta was also asked whether Inter were likely to sell one or more key players in the transfer window, assuring supporters that the club’s situation was not as bad as some have made out.
“We’re not in such a disastrous situation that we’ll have to wipe out everything we’ve done so far (by selling players),” Marotta said.
“We must be optimistic heading into the future, but at the moment we must focus on the nice things we’ve achieved and the season isn’t over.
“The club will then announce what they need to announce and respond to all questions.
“It’s at this time of year that all clubs sit down and plan things for the future, and we’ll do that in good time too.”
Marotta also spoke of his pride at seeing Inter win the Serie A title again after 11 years of waiting.
“Regardless of the gap with Roma in the table (27 points), we’ve done an extraordinary thing this season which must be credited to the coach, the team, the technical staff and obviously the club for their support,” he added.
“Perhaps we still don’t realise the magnitude of what we’ve achieved.”