Inter CEO Beppe Marotta expects that there is no doubt that the team will continue on with Simone Inzaghi as coach no matter how the season ends.
Speaking to Italian broadcaster DAZN, the Nerazzurri executive gave his thoughts on the future of the club on the pitch and on the bench, as well as on the massive head-to-head match that the team faces this evening.
Inzaghi’s future has been cast in some doubt in Italian media due to the Nerazzurri’s drop-off in form since the beginning of February.
The coach, who had guided the team into a commanding position at the top of the table at the end of December, saw his team slump into having to chase AC Milan and Napoli at the top.
Now, a huge clash with the Bianconeri sees the team return from the international break knowing that they have a real Scudetto race on their hands, starting with one of their biggest challenges of the season.
There is no guarantee that Inzaghi will be able to guide the team to a second consecutive Serie A title, but Marotta isn’t thinking about the coach’s future regardless.
“Today we look back on an extraordinary run up until the end of January, and then a period in which the results have not corresponded to the quality of our performances,” Marotta said.
“But this is part of the game,” he reflected. “Inzaghi enjoys our great respect for what he’s done so far, what he’s achieved and what he will do.”
“He has been criticized recently because the coach is the first in the line of fire when the results aren’t coming,” he added.
“This is not how it is with Inzaghi, we’ve evaluated his performance positively and we will move forward with him,” the executive was clear. “Now we have to see why there’s been a period of bad form.”
Of this evening’s match, Marotta said “I hope it will be an exciting match and an advertisement for our football. We hope it will be a good evening.”
Regarding transfer links to Juventus forward Paulo Dybala, Marotta said that “I’ve worked togeher with him in past seasons and gotten good results.”
“But I can’t speak to the dynamics which led to him not extending his contract,” he added. “I acknowledge the news.”
He went on that “We have an attack that meets our needs, including young players who are doing well on loan like Satriano.”
“There are many players who leave on free transfers on June 30, not just from Juve,” he added. “These are all dynamics of the transfer market to be evaluated eight rounds from the end of the season.”