Inter Boss Antonio Conte Always Prioritises Attacking Football Despite ‘Catenaccio’ Claims, Italian Media Argue

Inter Boss Antonio Conte Always Prioritises Attacking Football Despite ‘Catenaccio’ Claims, Italian Media Argue
March 17, 2021 19:30
( )

The idea that Inter coach Antonio Conte plays a ‘catenaccio’ style of football is simply wrong, an Italian media report has argued today.

Gazzetta dello Sport’s print edition pointed out that wherever Conte has worked, from his first job at Bari to now at Inter, he has always started out by focusing on his team’s attacking play.

The former Italian national team coach always looks to firstly set up an attack that can make a big impact, before working out things in other departments without neglecting the need for balance and a solid defence.

The best example of this philosophy is this season, the report highlighted, when Conte tried to start with a no. 10 and Achraf Hakimi and Ivan Perisic on the wings, before having to make adjustments when Inter were conceding too many goals.

Conte played an enterprising 4-2-4 system at Bari, the Milan-based paper recalled, before playing a qualitative 3-5-2 formation at Juventus, the same system he uses at Inter.

He started with a back four at Chelsea, meanwhile, before swapping to the 3-4-2-1 formation which won him the Premier League title, getting the most out of quality players like Diego Costa, Eden Hazard, Cesc Fabregas and Pedro.

The aggressive and high-pressing style that Conte adopted at Juventus would not be suitable for the current Inter squad, the report argued, as both Romelu Lukaku and Lautaro Martinez play better when they have space to attack.

Conte has therefore lowered Inter’s defensive line after a shaky start to the season and created a system which suits his side much more.

“Catenaccio is something very different,” Gazzetta concluded.

Inter’s legendary former striker Alessandro Altobelli weighed into the debate today and told Conte’s critics they didn’t know what they were talking about.

By Cammy Anderson

Video – Inter Corporate CEO Alessandro Antonello: “The New Stadium Project Will Be Essential”

October 29, 2021 04:30
( )

Inter’s Corporate CEO Alessandro Antonello has explained the importance of the new San Siro project for the future of the club. Speaking as part of…

Video – Lautaro Martinez Sends Message To Inter Fans: “Forza Inter”

October 29, 2021 02:30
( )

Inter striker Lautaro Martinez has filmed a short video of himself addressing the Inter fans having just signed his new contract with the club. The…

Ex-Inter Forward Alessandro Altobelli On Inter’s Scudetto Hopes: “So Far They Are Not On Par With AC Milan & Napoli”

October 29, 2021 00:30
( )

Former Inter striker Alessandro Altobelli has said that Inter are not on the same level as the two teams ahead of them in the table,…

Ex-Inter Defender Lele Adani On Alexis Sanchez Assist vs Empoli: “A Touch Of Absolute Class”

October 28, 2021 23:59
( )

Former Inter defender Lele Adani has praised Alexis Sanchez after his positive performance against Empoli on Wednesday night, according to a report in the Italian…

Two Of Inter’s Chinese Sponsors Cannot Pay The Money They Owe The Nerazzurri, Italian Media Report

October 28, 2021 23:30
( )

Two of Inter’s sponsors from China will not be able to pay their fees to the club in full this year as they are having…

Former Referee Luca Marelli On Empoli Penalty Claim: “The Complaints Are Because Of What Happened In Inter vs Juventus”

October 28, 2021 23:00
( )

Former referee Luca Marelli has played down the seriousness of Empoli’s potential penalty against Inter on Wednesday night in the Serie A match between the…

Close

Subscribe

to our newsletter