InterSpac President Carlo Cottarelli has given an update on the status of the initiative for fan shareholding in the Nerazzurri, explaining that he expects a proposal to be on the table by November.
Speaking to Italian news outlet FCInter1908, Cottarelli went into details on the results of a questionnaire that had been sent out to gauge interest in the project and on the timeline for moving forward with the initiative.
Cottarelli is looking to bring about more public ownership of the Nerazzurri and to encourage other Italian clubs to adopt a similar model going forward.
To this end, he has been moving forward with trying to get the project off the ground and in contact with current Inter owners Suning, and now hopes that major steps can be taken before the end of the year.
He also gave updates on an event to be held in a few days’ time on September 24 where more information will be revealed about the status of the project.
Cottarelli said that the public response to the questionnaire of over 100,000 responses was “As we’d hoped. We will present the details in an event on September 24, but it is a very positive result.”
“It was a stage that went well,” he said of the questionnaire. “I still meet Inter fans who were not aware of the questionnaire. I believe that, with proper publicity, we can reach even more. With the collection we could reach even more significant numbers.”
He spoke about the event in a few days’ time, explaining that “There will be several interventions: from that of [Italian Olympic Committee President Giovanni] Malago, to that of [Italian FA President Gabriele] Gravina, via connection. I will speak, then others. Everything will be concluded by a panel of journalists, almost all Inter fans and InterSpac partners.”
“I cannot go into details,” he explained, “some of which, eventually, I will discuss with the club. I confirm that we intend to hire a strategic consultant, who will have to help us formulate a detailed business plan, for a concrete project to be presented between October and, more likely, November to the club. From there we will see.”
Of his contact with the Zhang family Cottarelli said, “We communicated the results of the questionnaire, so there was contact. But don’t ask me to go into details, we are in a delicate phase.”
Of support for the project by former Nerazzurri President Massimo Moratti, he said that “I read your words and they made me very happy. I have not heard from him, I have not had direct contact with him since a while ago.”
“There are some prominent figures who have joined InterSpac,” Cottarelli said. “Then, we have a list of around 300 potentially interested hedge fund entrepreneurs and investors, who we will only look to if and when there is an effective and concrete interest on the part of the company.”
He detailed that “We are not yet at the level of ‘institutional’ investors like those of Bayern. It remains a difficult project that we try to carry out, without unrealistic prospects.”
“It takes determination and enthusiasm from everyone,” he went on. “It is a project that has never been carried out, because it exists abroad, but it was created along with the clubs in which it is present. If this happens, it would be the first time for a club of this size.”
On how the InterSpac project could change if the Nerazzurri took on new investors or owners, he said that “For now, we go on independently of everything. But it is clear that, if there are any developments, we will evaluate what to do.”
Turning to matters on the pitch, Cottarelli was asked if he felt disappointed by the sale of Romelu Lukaku in the summer, stating “Yes, like all the fans. The important thing, however, is to remain competitive. We’ve gotten off to a good start.”
Of Nerazzurri coach Simone Inzaghi he said, “I’ve always been a fan of his. Not everything went perfectly, but we are confident. During the match against Real Madrid, I saw an excellent team, especially in the first half.”