Inter Milan and AC Milan could be bracing themselves for several battles in the summer transfer market, including duels for Davide Frattesi and Marcus Thuram.

In recent days, the Sassuolo midfielder became the primary transfer target for the Nerazzurri. But while club directors Beppe Marotta and Piero Ausilio were making progress on this front, their crosstown rivals could overtake them in the race.

With Sandro Tonali on the verge of completing a switch to Newcastle United for an astronomical fee, Milan will have enough transfer funds in the coffers to pip their crosstown rivals who are yet to make any significant sales this summer.

But according SportMediaset via FcInterNews, the Beneamata remain the slight favorites over their “cousins” in the race for Frattesi.

Simone Inzaghi’s side has a 60% chance of landing the Italian international midfielder, while the Diavolo have 40% odds of snatching the player, as the source claims.

Aside from Frattesi, Inter and Milan will also compete for the signature of Marcus Thuram.

The 25-year-old will become a free agent at the end of the month following the expiry of his contract with Borussia Monchengladbach.

The Frenchman is the son of legendary Serie A defender and 1998 World Cup hero Lilian Thuram.

But while his father represented Parma and Juventus during his storied Serie A run, the versatile forward could feature for one of the Derby della Madonnina rivals.

Nevertheless, the source adds that Paris Saint-Germain are also monitoring the situation and may soon lunge forward with an offer for Thuram.

The Frenchman scored 13 goals and provided six assists in his 30 Bundesliga appearances this season.