Referee Michael Fabbri and VAR Luigi Nasca have been temporarily suspended from Serie A matches following a major error during today’s match between Inter Milan and Hellas Verona.

This according to Italian broadcaster SportMediaset, via FCInterNews, who report that the Italian Referees Association has made the decision after the officials failed to disallow the Nerazzurri’s winning goal.

The closing stages of this afternoon’s match between Inter and Verona were full of drama.

And they were also mired in controversy.

Ten-man Verona got a penalty right at the end, which striker Thomas Henry.

But this was not the decision that caused the most controversy.

There was little doubt that Inter defender Matteo Darmian had committed a foul, albeit a relatively soft one, when Fabbri awarded the spot kick following advice from the VAR.

Rather, the most contentious decision concerned Inter’s winning goal.

Fabbri & Nasca Temporarily Suspended Following Error In Inter Vs Verona Clash

It was midfielder Davide Frattesi who scored Inter’s winning goal in the third minute of stoppage time.

The goal arrived after a Nicolo Barella was parried away by Verona keeper Lorenzo Montipo.

The Gialloblu keeper’s save fell in an inviting area in front of goal.

And it was Frattesi who reacted first to snatch the chance and score.

However, Verona players felt that the goal should have been disallowed. This was because of an apparent foul in the buildup.

The sequence that had led to Inter scoring began with a corner kick.

And after the initial corner had been cleared by Verona, Inter defender Alesssandro Bastoni seemed to give a strong shove to Gialloblu midfielder Ondrej Duda.

Duda remained on the ground through the rest of the sequence. But Fabbri was unmoved, feeling that the Slovakian had went down under little contact.

And the VAR agreed with Fabbri. Referee Nasca conferred with Fabbri in a VAR check that lasted a few moments – then Fabbri awarded the goal.

This was obviously a pivotal moment in the match. Inter took all three points, whilst Verona lost out on a possibly vital point in their efforts to keep themselves in Serie A.

The Italian Refereeing Association has determined that the decision not to disallow the error was a blatant error.

Therefore, they have suspended both Fabbri and Nasca.

But these suspensions will not be permanent. Rather, the pair will return to refereeing after a short period, where they will continue to be under observation.