The mystery of LionRock reappeared on the scene following the recent Inter Milan ownership change, and even Massimo Moratti has emerged as a possible investor.

Earlier this week, Oaktree Capital assumed control over the Nerazzurri as Suning failed to repay their debt by Monday’s deadline.

Suning owned 69% of the club’s capital shares, while LionRock held the remaining 31%.

The Hong Kong-based company had bought this share from former club owner Erik Thohir in 2019.

But while Suning had taken a loan from Oaktree to cover the club’s operational costs in 2021 and pledged their majority shares at the club as a guarantee, Il Corriere dello Sport (via FcInter1908) wonders how Oaktree also managed to acquire LionRock’s shares.

The club’s official statement announced that Oaktree have indirectly seized control of 99.6% of the capital shares.

This begs the following question: Why did LionRock pledge their shares at the club to Oaktree without receiving anything in return?

This is where the report mentions that the persons behind the latter company have always been shrouded in mystery. In fact, some theorize that Steven Zhang himself could be pulling the strings.

Report Links Former Inter Milan President Massimo Moratti To Mysterious LionRock Group

Nevertheless, the source mentions a different theory, claiming that a group of Italian investors could be behind LionRock.

This mysterious group could even include former Inter president Massimo Moratti who sold the club in 2013.

The Roman newspaper believes these persons have now lost their entire investment, with Oaktree acquiring their shares.

The source finally wonders whether they were acting as real investors or club supporters.