Antonio Conte says he is seeing signs of ‘the old Alexis Sanchez’ after revealing the forward is fitter than he has ever been since joining Inter.
Sanchez is in contention to start for the Nerazzurri in tomorrow’s Serie A match at Parma, according to a report in Gazzetta dello Sport.
Asked about the Chilean’s progress during his pre-match press conference today, Conte made it clear he was very pleased with the 32-year-old’s condition.
“Sanchez is fitter than he has ever been since joining Inter,” he told reporters.
“He came off two difficult years at Manchester United and after his ankle problem we waited for him for several months.
“It’s taken patience from both sides but now he’s in his best moment of form.
“I’m starting to see those sprints we saw in the old Alexis, credit to him for continuing to train.
“He knows full well he has Romelu Lukaku and Lautaro Martinez in front of him and they’re both doing very well, but these two know as well that they have a player behind them who’s eager to get going and can give an important contribution.”
Gazzetta’s report described Sanchez as ‘an extra starter’ for Conte, who played a key role in signing the forward from Manchester United in 2019.
Conte publicly criticised him after last month’s Coppa Italia defeat against Juventus, telling him his goal-scoring stats were ‘merciless’, and it seems the message has been received.
Sanchez made an immediate impact when he came on during Sunday’s game against Genoa, wrapping up a 3-0 win by scoring within minutes of replacing Lautaro.
He is said to have the full confidence of his Inter teammates, as demonstrated by the group hug after his goal against the Rossoblu.
GdS said Sanchez had rediscovered his spark in one-on-one situations and is becoming a decisive influence in Inter’s build-up play around the opposition box.