Marseille President Pablo Longoria Plays Down Interest For Inter’s Arturo Vidal, French Media Report

Marseille President Pablo Longoria Plays Down Interest For Inter’s Arturo Vidal, French Media Report
March 24, 2021 13:00
( )

Arturo Vidal’s interest from Marseille is not as strong as some have suggested, at least according to a report in the French media.

The Inter midfielder has drawn links with the Ligue 1 side in recent weeks, with Marseille’s new head coach Jorge Sampaoli thought to be keen on recruiting him for next season.

However, footmercato.net (via FcInterNews.it) have reported that Marseille’s president Pablo Longoria has played down interest by telling Canal+ that signing the 33-year-old is not a priority for them.

Longoria is said to have told the French broadcaster that Vidal’s salary is too expensive for Marseille, although he did confirm that Sampaoli had made contact with Vidal recently.

Flamengo and Galatasaray were also linked with moves for the Chile midfielder in today’s papers, with Vidal under contract at Inter until the end of next season.

The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich midfielder has lost his place in Antonio Conte’s starting XI at Inter thanks to inconsistent performances and lots of niggling fitness problems, with Christian Eriksen taking over in midfield last month.

 

By Will Beckman